My love for cosmetics has always overshadowed my interest in hair. I usually either let my hair air dry and leave it alone, or straighten it, so I definitely would not refer to myself as a hair expert. However, I still pride myself on having semi-tamed tresses and trying new hair products. These are the products I’ve been using in my daily hair arsenal:
1. Herbal Essences Tousling Mousse ($4-ish at Target) – I have naturally wavy-straight hair, and I like to use this on days that I want to look naturally put together. I usually shower before bed, so I like to put this in my damp hair before I fall asleep. In the morning, I wake up with frizz-free, lightly defined waves. Bonus: it makes your hair smell amaze-balls!
2. Suave Professionals Refresh & Revive Dry Shampoo ($2.88 at Walmart) – Showering every day is wasteful and unnecessary, but even if you must shower every day, washing your hair every day contributes to dryness and breakage. On the days I don’t shower or wash, this is my go-to dry shampoo. I’ve tried a lot of other higher-end dry shampoos, and I find that this one is just as effective. It doesn’t leave me with white, granny residue, and it leaves a light tropical scent. Also, I’m cheap.
3. Aveda Brilliant Damage Control ($18 at Nordstrom) – This is actually my mom’s and I snag it every time I come home. It leaves your hair with that heavenly Aveda scent, and leaves my hair feeling soft and healthy. I love that it’s not heavy or greasy feeling. It’s a little pricey, but the bottle is a large size and will absolutely last several months, even with daily use.
4. Matrix Biolage Thermal Active Repair Gloss ($17 at Walgreens) – This stuff is AWESOME! I put about a half pump of this in my damp hair before blow drying (rare occasions) and it leaves me with silky, shiny hair. Heat protectants are so important if you regularly style your hair with hot tools. It smells nice and light, which is a plus, too. The only con to this is that you do have to use it sparingly in order to avoid looking greasy.
5. TONI & GUY Casual Sea Salt Spray (Cheapest at Target, $15) – I actually got this for free from Rent the Runway last November when I rented my gown for the Marine Corps Ball. Inside the box with my gown was a little bag of goodies, including two TONI & GUY products, one of which was this! I’ve never had a sea salt spray actually do anything to my hair. This one leaves me with soft, touchable waves that really do look like I spent the day at the beach! I find it works best in combination with other wave products, like the tousling mousse above. It smells good, too!
6. Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Creme (2oz $8 and 4oz for $20 at Fekkai.com) – I’ve been using this for years. I’ve never used a hair product that left my hair feeling SO soft as this one. It’s infused with olive oil, and never leaves me feeling greasy. It has a light scent, but isn’t noticeable throughout the day. One thing I’ve always found confusing about this product is that the 4oz size is more expensive than buying two 2oz bottles. Can someone explain this to me?? lol! So for that reason, I always purchase the 2oz bottles. If I had to choose one product off this list that really made the most difference in my hair, this would be it. I really can’t recommend it enough!
7. Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade ($22 at Nordstrom) – Flyaways-be-gone! This is a unisex product, so men can definitely give this product a go for their own styling needs, and women with pixie cuts may find this especially helpful in taming their short styles. What I personally really love this pomade for is taming my flyaways. It has great hold, leaves a sheen (without looking greasy), and is pretty much fool-proof in application. A little goes a long way, so this should last quite a while.
That concludes what I’ve been loving on my hair at the moment! Do any of you use this products? What are your favorites? Let me know in the comments below!