I think most brides have dreamed about their wedding day since they were little girls. They build Pinterest boards and watch entire seasons of Say Yes to the Dress and take 13 months to plan their wedding and it. will. be. perfect. Most brides aren’t me, though, so I planned my wedding in three months, DIYed almost every part of it, never dreamed of my wedding as a child, and ~ spoiler alert ~ did my own makeup. I also may have waited until the week before my wedding to try and find a makeup artist, so that was working against me. I had originally figured that my wedding day would bring imminent floods to my eyes, so I wanted airbrush makeup. Well here’s two things about airbrush makeup: 1. it’s freakin’ expensive and 2. it’s not a very popular trade where I live. I made the executive decision that $200 spent on getting my makeup done would be better spent on an adventure with Alex instead.
I didn’t practice my makeup at all before my wedding day (because clearly that would mean I’d have to prepare in advance for something, and we all know I don’t do that), so,
as with most aspects of my life, I kind of just winged it and hoped for the best. I picked up the BareMinerals I Do kit at Ulta for $50, which is actually a pretty great deal for everything that you get, and it was a hookup to have at the chapel for touchups. The only photo I have of my makeup is this really awkward selfie below (you’re welcome and I give you permission to laugh), and I took it after the floodgates had already broken, so it’s a little less than perfect in the eye area. *sniffle* But quite frankly, I felt beautiful, it saved me money, and I find applying makeup to be therapeutic, so it may have also saved me from having a few extra bridezilla breakdowns. (My mom would probably say otherwise. Sorry, Mom.)
I used a lot of makeup, so I won’t go too into detail on the ins and outs of each product like I usually do, but below is a list of the products I used to create this look. Almost everything can be found at Ulta (which is where I primarily shop), and some of these products will actually be featured in more detail in upcoming blogs. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below or send me an email and I’d be happy to help!
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place makeup in 2W1 Dawn – $38 at Nordstrom
- If you never want your foundation to come off, buy this (exaggeration).
- it Cosmetics Celebration Illumination powder foundation in Medium – $35 at Ulta
- This made my skin look flawless, and added a healthy glow since the Double Wear is so matte – this is especially beneficial if you don’t want to look flat in photos.
- Note: this foundation is medium/full buildable coverage, so if you are one of those magical fairies with already beautiful skin, I recommend using this alone, rather than on top of a liquid foundation like I did.
- Benefit Hoola bronzer – $28 at Ulta
- Y’all already know I love this stuff.
- Tarte Parke Ave Princess Contour Palette v2 – $34 at Ulta
- This is a recent purchase and I dig it – I only used the highlighter on my wedding day. More to come on this in the future!
- BareMinerals Ready blush in I Do (from the I Do kit – $50)
- If you have fair/light to medium skin, this pink flush will look universally gorgeous on you.
- Urban Decay Naked 3 palette – $54 at Sephora & Naked 2, also $54 at Sephora
- From Naked 3 I used: Nooner, Liar, & Darkside
- From Naked 2 I used: Booty Call, Tease, Busted
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Soft Brown – $21 at Sephora
- My personal favorite brow product.
- Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara – $23 at Ulta
- I used this pre-falsies to darken my natural lashes.
- BareMinerals Lasting Line eyeliner in Absolute Black – $16 at Ulta
- I used this on my tightline and outer 2/3 of my bottom lashline.
- Stila Stay all Day liquid liner in Intense Black – $22 at Sephora
- This is amazing, and if you plan on crying, you need to buy it. Now.
- L’Oreal Collection Privee lipstick in Julianne’s Nude – $8 at Ulta
- My holy grail nude-pink! I topped this with Urban Decay Naked lip gloss in Nooner, $20 at Sephora (borrowed that from a friend, but I really liked it!)
- Benefit Porefessional primer – $31 at Ulta
- Not my favorite primer, but I think it held up well throughout the day!
- BareMinerals Flawless Definition waterproof mascara in Black (from the I Do kit – $50)
- I used this to blend my falsies and natural lashes together, and on my bottom lashes. It’s definitely waterproof! It lasted through more tears than I think I’ve ever cried before.
- Ardell Natural Lash 110 – $3.99 @ Ulta
- These are gorgeous and definitely more natural looking than other false lashes. They were also pretty comfortable. I didn’t feel like I had wings on my eyelids, so that was a positive.
I think that concludes the long list of products that I used for the day! I also used the Fake Bake Flawless Darker self tanner (per usual), which you can learn more about here. All in all, I am pleased with my handiwork, and it photographed beautifully! DIYing your wedding makeup isn’t for everyone, but it worked out well for me and allowed me to take control over something on my wedding day. I love makeup, and as much as I would have enjoyed getting it done professionally, it was something unique and special that I did for myself. To all of my brides-to-be, congratulations, and to all of my readers, have a fantasmical day!