This post is super overdue. Practically a month overdue. My B. But let’s talk about my beauty faves of March 2015!
March is one of my least favorite months, because in Wisconsin, March = slush, false hopes for spring, and the realization that your favorite shoes have been irreparably ruined by road salt. The plus side to March is Ulta’s 21 Days of Beauty, which is the greatest 3 weeks of beauty sales on Planet Earth. Unfortunately, my focus for March was on saving money for my trip to visit Alex, so I did not buy any goodies from the sale, but I did salivate over the Too Faced Sweethearts blushes from afar.
I did, however, pick up a few small goodies this month, three of which ended up here on my favorites list!
1. Maybelline Dream Wonder pressed powder ($9 at Ulta, cheaper at Target/Walmart) – I have yet to find a pressed powder that I love more than this one, and I’m shocked that it has such low reviews on Ulta and Makeup Alley. It’s so creamy, smooth, and leaves my face looking like it’s been airbrushed to perfection. It does darken my foundation, but it is not a translucent powder so that’s to be expected. I’ve actually found that using a foundation shade that’s about a shade too light in combination with this powder gives me the perfect look. I’ve repurchased this a few times, and plan to do so in the future. It does not expressly claim to control oily skin, but I think it actually does a pretty good job; I would say it keeps me matte as long as the Rimmel Stay Matte powder does (5-ish hours). When my luggage arrived late and I didn’t have any of my regular makeup, I used this as a powder foundation and was actually able to build it up to a sheer/medium coverage.
2. Wet n Wild Color Icon blush in Pearlescent Pink (2.99 at Walgreens & Walmart) – I swear I’ve talked about this on Wisconsin Whimsy before, but in case I haven’t, you need this blush.It’s so pigmented, and gives a bright, punchy glow that’s perfect for giving your cheeks a springy pop of color. In real life, it looks a little more like a coral-pink, and it does have shimmer in the pan, however I think it comes across as a satin finish on the skin. The price can’t be beat on these blushes, and they are more pigmented than my ever-loved MAC blush. I apply this blush with a light hand and a stippling brush. Love!
3. Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Tutti Frutti ($8.49 at Ulta) – I actually scored this on clearance at the MCX for $2.99! I have several other shades of the Lip Butters: Pink Lemonade, Wild Watermelon, Sorbet, and Creme Brulee. I don’t own any orange lip shades, and Alex thought it was cute, so I went ahead and bought it thinking that it’d be one of those lippies you never wear but keep around anyway. I was wrong! It’s a bright tangerine, but the formula of these lipsticks is semi-sheer, so you can build up the color. It is perfect for spring, and I love to wear it when I’m wearing neutrals or black and white for a fun color pop. I also really like that it doesn’t snag on my dry lips and moisturizes them. Love!
4. Mario Badescu Soothing & Healing Mask (full size $20 at Mario Badescu) – This is a sample that I received from Mario Badescu after taking their skin profile questionnaire. I’m always wary of introducing new skin care products into my routine since I have such sensitive and breakout-prone skin, but decided to give the products a go due to their reputation. I used this in combo with my sample of the Drying Cream, and liked that I could still enjoy the results of the drying cream without the aftermath of redness and flaky skin. I actually found that this was effective on its own at treating my cystic acne. I did not follow the directions and instead of washing it off after 20 minutes, left it on my bumps overnight as a spot treatment and washed it off with my Clarisonic the next morning and was amazed at the difference I saw! I’m thinking about purchasing the full size of this towards the end of summer so that I have it for the fall and winter months when my skin is really suffering.
5. L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation ($14.99 at Ulta) – I paid $11 at the MCX for this, and you can also probably get it cheaper at Walmart or Target, however I haven’t seen it at either of those stores locally. This is a medium-coverage liquid foundation. I like this for days that I’m not going all-out in my makeup routine, because I can quickly buff it in with a flat top buki. This is definitely only medium coverage, which I was a little disappointed by at first, and several of the shades are slightly orange, however I was able to find a shade that works for me (sun beige) and if I want full coverage, I mix it with my Covergirl 3-in-1 foundation and apply with my Real Techniques sponge. I wore this foundation in my engagement photos, and I think it looked totally flawless. It lasted for at least 7 hours, kept me matte (I didn’t touch it up), and didn’t oxidize. If you have minimal redness and few blemishes, I highly recommend this foundation. I think it’ll be a perfect summertime foundation, so I’m excited for the warmer weather to get here!
6. Vaseline Intensive Therapy Cocoa Butter body lotion ($6 at Walmart) – I was in the market for a new body lotion, and I needed something that absorbed quickly, didn’t have a strong smell, and actually moisturized my skin. I love this lotion because it leaves my skin feeling smooth and soft, and the barrier it creates helps my skin from drying out. It smells warm and soft like cocoa butter, but it’s not strong enough that it interferes with my perfume. I like to use this in between self-tanning sessions so that my tan fades evenly, and I like that it’s affordable. I will definitely repurchase this again when I run out!
That concludes my March 2015 favorites! What were your favorites? Tell me in the comments below!
This is a written promise to post my April 2015 favorites within the same decade 😉